Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

What Do You Want?

Agendas are organized plans to acquire our desires.

We read a lot about the agendas of various groups, and how what they want to accomplish affects their words. I recently heard this joke:

A man is walking through the zoo when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, a lion reaches out and grabs her by the cuff of her jacket. He pulls her arm through the bars. His mouth opens wide and his sharp teeth are ready to bite into her soft flesh.

The man runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Surprised, the lion drops the girl, and the man returns her to her terrified parents.

A reporter sees everything and asks the rescuer, “Why did you do that? Weren’t you afraid?”

The man says, “Well I just saw this little girl in danger and acted from instinct. I felt sure God would protect me just as He did Daniel in the lion's den long, long ago.”

“So you’re a Christian?” asked the journalist.

“Yes, I am.”

“Well, I'll make sure this act doesn’t go unnoticed. I work for… (newspaper known for its anti-Christian agenda), and this will be on the front page tomorrow.”

The following morning the man buys a copy of the newspaper and reads, “Christian Fundamentalist Assaults African Immigrant and Steals His Lunch”

It’s not just about lunch!

The little girl’s agenda was to see a lion up close. She may have even wanted to pet him

The lion’s agenda was to satisfy his hunger.

The rescuer just wanted to help.

The reporter had a different agenda from all of the others. 

We all have agendas!

What is the Christian agenda? Some believe it is all about correct doctrine and fight to be right. Some attach it to politics and also fight to be right (pun intended). Some spend all of their energies on fighting injustices.

What was Christ’s desire and His plans for acquiring His desire?

Jesus Christ loved others. His words and actions revealed His agenda. He prayed, “Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began” (John 17:24).

Certainly Jesus saw injustices and hated them. He saw people abusing others and suffered the ultimate abuse Himself. Yet, He stayed true to His main agenda; and it affected every word He said and action He did. He knew that just eliminating symptoms would not cure the disease of sin. Our deep desires only change when our hearts change—when the Holy Spirit takes control and we place our trust in Jesus as our Savior and Lord.

What reveals our agenda?

If we truly are “Christ-followers,” His agenda will become ours. We will love others and want them to see the glory of God and live forever with Him—and us. 

We tend to bring our agenda into every conversation. It shows through the words we choose and even through our tone and body language. By examining our words and actions, we can see if our professed beliefs are the same as our possessed beliefs.

How does our agenda affect our relationships with God and with other people?

Chapter 7 of 12 Ways to Make Your Words Count details more about this last question. This book is available in print, audio, and e-book formats @ http://www.thewritespot.org/knicksnotes/books-from-the-author/51-12-ways-to-make-your-words-count.html.

I always enjoy hearing your thoughts about my blog posts. Please leave your comments below.

comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC