Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

My Jesus Valentine

What do you think Jesus wants for Valentine’s Day?

I love to give and receive gifts, don’t you? Yet, sometimes I’ve noticed that those giving the gifts give what they want instead of what the one receiving the gift wants.

I grew up in a very messy house, and neatness became important to me. I vowed that my house wouldn’t be that way when I grew up.

God has a sense of humor for sure. With five kids (who always had friends visiting) and a dog, keeping a house perfect was impossible. However, when Jerry came home from work, I made sure the house was clean and neat. That was my gift to him.

I was embarrassed as a child when friends came to my house, because it was messy. I didn’t’ want my children to feel that way. So I made sure the house was clean and neat whenever their friends visited. That was my gift to them.

I don’t think Jerry or our kids cared if the house was neat. I was giving them what I wanted instead of what they wanted.

Gary Chapman wrote a book many years ago entitled “5 Love Languages” that details five ways to show love.

1)      Words of Affirmation

2)      Quality Time

3)      Presents

4)      Service

5)      Touch

Although all of these can show love, each individual tends to value certain “love languages” more than others. Which are more important to you? Which are more important to those you love?

For example: Giving presents wrapped in paper may mean less to a wife than vacuuming the floor does. Keeping the house neat may mean less to a husband than setting aside tasks and listening to how his day went.

Let’s invest the time and effort into learning what our loved ones appreciate and giving them gifts they value most.

So let’s go back to our original question:

What do you think Jesus wants for Valentine’s Day?

HE told us—more than once! He told us several times in John chapter 14 (and other places in the Bible).

If you love me, obey my commandments” (John 14:15).

“Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them" (verse 21).

"All those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and live with them. Anyone who doesn't love me will not do what I say” (verses 23-24).

Who knows better than our Creator what we need most? Let us value the amazing love gift HE gave and trust His love for us enough to do what He says.

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again” (John 3:16-17).

A pleasing response to giving is gratitude and a desire to give back.

The Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write about our reasonable response to what God has given us, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service” (Romans 12:1 nkj).

The acts of receiving Christ’s love gift and giving Him our love gift will build a strong and satisfying relationship.

What will you give Jesus for Valentine’s Day? I would enjoy hearing your responses.
comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC