Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

What am I Afraid of?

What are you afraid of?

A woman returned to her home from church and caught a robber in the act.

She yelled, "Stop! Acts 2:38!" (which reads, “Repent and be baptized, in the name of Jesus Christ so your sins may be forgiven.”)

The burglar stopped in his tracks.

The woman called the police and explained what had happened.

As the officer cuffed the man, he asked the burglar, "Why did you stop? All she did was yell Scripture at you.

"Scripture? I thought she had an ax and two 38s!"

Picture this…

The U.S. faced the greatest financial crisis in its history. The stock market had crashed. Banks had failed. More than 2,000,000 homeless Americans wondered where they could find food. One of four adults was unemployed. The suicide rate had risen dramatically.

Under these conditions in 1933, a partially paralyzed man who had barely avoided assassination a month earlier became President of the United States. His wife described his inauguration as “terrifying.”

In his inaugural address, Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

Is that true?

When I was in high school, I worked hard preparing a speech for English class. I practiced and everything. However, when the teacher called on me, fear paralyzed me. I mumbled, “I don’t have a speech.”

Fear can paralyze more than our limbs. It can stop us from reaching out to others, from stepping up to challenges, and from living a healthy life.

“Research shows that fear triggers more than 1,400 known physical and chemical responses and activates more than 30 different hormones.” -Dr. Caroline Leaf

Dr. Leaf, who has studied the brain for more than 25 years, also says, “Love and fear are the root emotions—all other emotions grow out of these. We were created for love and all that goes with it, but we have learned to fear.”

These two emotions cannot function at the same time. The Bible says, “God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we’re free of worry on Judgment Day—our standing in the world is identical with Christ’s. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love” (I John 4:17-18 The Message). 

Now I believe my all-powerful heavenly Father loves me just as I am. He is with me always. He has given me a message people need to hear. I speak without fear to crowds of people.

Most fear is associated with some type of loss: loss of relationships, health, life, _________ (fill in the blank). We worry about what people think of us because we may lose their respect.

Fear comes from lack of faith. Faith comes from resting in God’s love.

If we only realized how powerful God is and how much He loves us, would that realization eliminate fear? How would that affect our communication?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

If you want to read more about what lies under communication, check out 12 Ways to Make Your Words Count. http://www.thewritespot.org/knicksnotes/books-from-the-author/51-12-ways-to-make-your-words-count.html
comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC