Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

7 Questions to Ask (Part 2)

Some things are just too obvious. We all know God created us with two ears and one mouth, yet we want to talk twice as much as we listen.

Third-grader Sherry brought home her report card and showed it to her parents.

Her dad said, “Good grades. Good job. But what’s this note on the back?” He read, “Sherry is a good student, but she talks too much in class. I have an idea I’m going to try, which I think may break this bad habit.”

The next morning Sherry’s dad handed her the signed report card and a note to give her teacher. “Please let me know if your idea works. I would like to try it on her mother.”

Don’t we all say things that would better be left unsaid?

7 questions to ask before we open our mouths
                             (or before we start texting/posting).

PART 2 (Questions 4-7)

Last month, we looked at three questions to ask ourselves before we speak, post, or text. This month, we’ll look at the last four. These questions came from the following Bible verse:

“Focus your thoughts on what is true, noble, righteous, pure, lovable or admirable, on some virtue or on something praiseworthy” (Philippians 4:8 Complete Jewish Bible).

Yes, that verse is about thoughts—but don’t thoughts precede words?

4) Is this thought or series of words pure (without sin)?

I don’t want to eat food mixed with even a little dirt, for that could affect my physical health.
I also appreciate pure words entering my mind, for that will enhance my spiritual health.

We might ask ourselves, “How will these words affect those who hear them?”

5) Is this thought or series of words lovely?

When we speak to manipulate others and gain something for ourselves, we don’t speak lovely words.
When we speak to show love to others and gain something for them, we will speak lovely words.

We might ask ourselves, “Do these words display love?”

6) Is this thought or series of words admirable (of good report)?

It is depressing to listen to the evening news, because most of it is about things that hurt people.
Our “reporting” can discourage or encourage those who “tune in” to our words.

We might ask ourselves, “Am I sharing a good report?”

7) Is there anything good about the situation we’re discussing?

How often have we heard, “If you can’t say something good, don’t say anything”?
Science has proven that praiseworthy words will boost immune systems and lower blood pressures.

We might ask ourselves, “How will these words affect the physical, emotional, and spiritual health of those who receive them”

I’m really trying to transform my talk, and it isn’t easy. Next month, I’ll share some tools I’m using to persevere.
comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC