Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

Questions to Ask Ourselves

Questions to ask ourselves before we open our mouths (or before we start texting/posting).

“There’s nothing wrong with having nothing to say—unless you insist on saying it.”

PART 1 (Questions 1-3)

The Bible gives us some practical advice about talking. Actually, the verse at the bottom of this page is about thinking, but doesn’t thinking often result in speaking? If we control our thoughts, words we don’t mean to say won’t slip out.

1) Is this thought or word true?

Why think or talk about stuff that isn’t true? Psychologist Dr. Chris Thurman wrote a book some time ago entitled Lies we Believe. Three of these lies are-

• I must have everyone’s love and approval.
  • My unhappiness is some else’s fault.
  • My worth is determined by my performance.

These (and other) false believes don’t improve our lives. Don’t we all want the best life experiences possible? Our beliefs determine our outlook on life, as well as our interaction with others.

Recently, someone got all upset with me. I’m thankful that person talked to me about the incident, because it was a misunderstanding we easily corrected. That person believed something that wasn’t true. We can’t believe everything we hear, and sometimes we misjudge people’s motives.

We might ask ourselves, “Is this thought (or word) worthy of planting in people's belief systems”?

2) Is this thought or word honorable?

Before I accept people as friends on Facebook or follow others on Twitter, I read their posts to see if their words are worthy of respect. I try to watch television programs and listen to songs that are worthy of honor so respectable words are planted in my mind.

Profane words (misusing God’s name, scoffing at sex or other beautiful things He created, and using what is commonly called gutter language) do not produce respect or honor.

We might ask ourselves, “Is this thought (or word) worthy of planting in people's minds”? What will it produce?

3) Is this thought or word ethical?

If Jesus were standing next to us, would we speak in the same way we always do? He knows every thought we think and hears every word we say.

When I fill a pitcher with water, water comes out when I pour from that pitcher. When we fill our minds with ethical thoughts, our words express integrity.

We might ask ourselves, “What kind of character does this thought (or word) express”?

I've based this blog post on the following Bible verse:

“Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just (ethical/moral), whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” (Philippians 4:8b ASV).
comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC