Knicks Notes
Arlene Knickerbocker's Photo
Chewed Up Pencil

Firewords

According to Wikipedia, the very first celebration of Independence Day took place in 1777, six years before Americans knew whether the new nation would survive the war; fireworks were a part of all festivities.

This week we enjoyed seeing an amazing fireworks display. Bright red, blue, green, and yellow shapes exploded over our heads resulting in oohs and aahs. I left with pleasant memories.

Also, this week a friend told how some friends set off fireworks and one went awry, chasing her around the yard while she screamed. Fireworks in unskilled hands have caused much harm.

Fire warms us when we’re cold, cooks our food, and keeps away wild animals when we’re camping in the wild. People have used torches for thousands of years, and today runners carry the traditional Olympic torch in relay to light the Olympic flame which burns during the Games. We talk about “passing the torch” of faith from one generation to another.

Audiences gasp as skilled jugglers toss lit torches into the air and catch them, but we don’t want to try that at home. Fire out of control destroys, as we have seen in recent Colorado wildfires.

Fireworks remind me of fire words. Words warm our hearts and nourish our souls. We use them in memorials and celebrations. We pass a way of speaking from generation to generation. We need to handle words with care, for they hold unlimited potential.

A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything—or destroy it!” (James 3:5 The Message).

Lately, I’ve been pondering the amazing potential of words, and I’m trying to use them to create pleasant memories. I’d love to hear your thoughts about firewords. Please leave a comment.
comments
Follow The Write Spot on Twitter Connect with The Write Spot on LinkedIn Visit The Write Spot on Ecademy
Links
We
©The Write Spot    |    Design by dynamicdynamic dZine Web Design Studio - Best Web Design Company near Lancaster PAdZine, LLC